Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

The building at 19/21 Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street (on the corner of Borysohlibska Street) is an example of a small residential building with shops arranged in the style of the early period of eclecticism. It is located opposite the Church of St. Nicholas on the Podil Quay.

The two-story brick building, with a basement, is rectangular in plan. The first floor of the building and the basement were intended for a salt bench and warehouses, the upper floor for housing. The building was thoroughly reconstructed in the 1980s and 1990s, preserving the exterior outline. The arched windows and balcony doors of the second floor are framed with dotted moldings made of hewn brick crossbars, characteristic of Kyiv architecture of the 1860s and 1870s.

Since the 1990s, a restaurant has been located on the first floor, which, however, is practically not visited today, and a wine shop is located in the basement. All the windows of the first floor are decorated with modern stained-glass windows with a wine and grape theme.

A memorial cross has been installed in the courtyard to the right of the building. Before the fire of 1811, there was a wooden church of the Holy Spirit here. After the fire, the church was not restored, and in 1904 a wooden chapel was built in its place, which was dismantled in the 1920s.

The building is a monument of architecture and urban planning.

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864

Naberezhno-Khreshchatytska Street 19/21. Building, 1864